Do you want to learn how to wash slippers, to leave them always very cute and cozy? Then, this text is for you!
Read on to find easy-to-follow tips on how often to clean, products to use and step-by-step instructions to make it as convenient as possible.
Can you wear slippers every day?
Are you the kind of person who loves slippers and wants to wear them every day? This might not be a good idea. Slippers are very useful for warming your feet in winter, but wearing them on hot days can bring some problems.See_also: How to clean a blender: the complete step-by-step process
This is because, by muffling and heating your feet, you leave them in the midst of a lot of heat and humidity, which is a favorable environment for microorganisms, such as fungi and bacteria. In addition to causing foot odor, these microbes can cause more serious problems, such as chilblains.
So leave the slippers for those colder winter days and, in the other seasons, keep your feet well ventilated.
Why is it important to wash slippers?
As slippers are usually worn for a short time during the year, in the colder season, care must be taken to ensure that they are always clean and free of fungi and bacteria.
So, it's important to have a care routine. In addition to washing your slippers regularly, you need to put them from time to time to "breathe" in an airy place, near the window.
What is the appropriate frequency for washing slippers?
How often to wash slippers? Because they are more delicate in manufacture and difficult to dry, slippers can spoil if washed too often.
So, if you only wear your slippers in winter, you can wash them once mid-season and once at the end of the season before putting them away.See_also: How to clean glass and make it sparkle
How to wash slippers: list of suitable products and materials
To wash your slippers, you can use the following products and materials:
- Neutral soap;
- Washing machine;
- Alcohol vinegar;
- Antibacterial disinfectant suitable for fabrics;
- Protective bag for washing clothes.
How to wash slippers: step by step
Whether your slippers are flats, fabric, plush, fur or pet slippers, the way to wash them is usually the same. The most recommended way to avoid damaging your slippers is usually to wash them by hand, although it is also possible to machine wash them.
Check out the tutorials below on how to wash your slippers:
How to wash slippers by hand
- Using a brush and detergent, scrub the soles of the slipper;
- Soak the slippers in the sink, dab a little mild soap on the inside and outside of the garment and rub gently with your hands;
- Take special care not to rub delicate parts such as plastic eyes and other decorations;
- A tip to help eliminate microorganisms is, before rinsing, soak the slippers in water and vinegar. Put in a bucket enough water to soak the slippers and a glass of alcohol vinegar. Let it act for about 20 minutes;
- If you prefer, you can apply an antibacterial disinfectant suitable for fabrics instead of vinegar. Spray it on the wet slipper after washing and leave it on for about 5 minutes;
- Rinse under running water, squeeze out excess water and lay flat to dry.
Read also: How to wash clothes by hand without ruining the fabric?
How to machine wash slippers
- To avoid damage, avoid machine washing slippers with parts that can come off, such as eyes and plastic embellishments;
- Place the slippers in protective bags and put in the machine;
- Fill the soap compartment with the laundry detergent of your choice, with the amount indicated in the instructions for use;
- Pour half a cup of vinegar into the fabric softener compartment;
- Use a wash cycle for delicate clothes;
- At the end of washing, lay the slippers out to dry.
Learn how to master the use of your washing machine with our exclusive article!
How to dry slippers
Avoid using a dryer to dry your slippers, so it is best to leave them on a clothesline in a cool place, near a window or outdoors.
If you live in an apartment and want to speed up drying, you can place a fan pointed at the clothesline. A good tip is to do the washing in the morning, on a dry and sunny day, so that your slippers have more time to dry.
How to care for your slippers?
Check out some useful tips to keep your slippers clean, maintained and cozy for longer:
- Wash your slippers, following the instructions in the previous topics, at least twice a year.
- In winter, when the slippers are not in use, leave them in an airy place.
- In the summer, store them away from moisture and occasionally put them in the window so that they are airy.
- Avoid wearing your slippers outside of the house. Sometimes you feel like getting a delivery or opening the building gate for a visitor wearing your slippers, don't you? But the less contact with dirt and microbes from the hallway and the street these shoes have, the more protection your feet get when you're indoors.
We also have a super-complete tutorial for washing sneakers - you can check it out here. here !